Wednesday, June 22, 2011

A new year. A new perspective.

Ok. I'll be the first to admit that I've let my blog slip over the last year or so. I was fired up at first but then I didn't think it was getting me anywhere and that blogs weren't important. However, many things have now come to pass that are making me think otherwise. Thus, I am promising a weekly update of my career for, what I hope will continue for, the rest of my career.

I recently accepted a position at Queens University Campus Bookstore. This means, after 10 years, I will be leaving Ottawa. I am very nervous as I feel I understand the design/advertising industry in Ottawa and I am not sure if that same understanding will translate. Fortunately, I am not going to be working in design or advertising; at least not in a primary capacity. I will be a digital marketer. Confused? So was I. I had to do some research and, quite frankly, I was shocked at how much digital marketing entailed.

I thought the usual 'advertising avenues' would suffice; Google AdWords, Facebook Marketing, email newsletter and we're done. I couldn't have shot lower if I tried.

I bought a copy of Strategy Magazine. I will definitely be subscribing. I also read "Everything I know about marketing I learned from Google" by Aaron Goldman. I am currently reading "The new Rules of Marketing & PR" by David Meerman Scott. These books are opening my eyes and blowing my mind.

I now have big plans that will involve a lot of work. I am excited about how success will be gauged with actual response. I am going into this job with little experience in marketing and public relations. However, when I'm done I'm hoping to emerge with a shiny new addition to my resume; "Andrew Sutton – Advertising, Graphic Design, Marketing & PR". Won't it be wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment