Friday, January 29, 2010

My first project of 2010 and me, a total fish out of water.


Diamond Development Initiative, a company dedicated to improving the work conditions and lives of artisanal diamond miners in Africa, approached me at the beginning of January with an inquiry. They needed 20 illustrations portraying 20 different scenes, and they needed them "yesterday". They asked if I could help them find an illustrator. Knowing very few people that would be kind to a client in their circumstances I offered to undertake the project myself. I sent them some samples of pencil sketches from my sketchbooks. They liked my style, we agreed on a price and I was off to the races.

Given more time I think it's fair to say that there would have been noticeable improvements to line quality and I would have shaded the colour. However, 20 illustrations completed in 60 hours is no small feat.

No comments:

Post a Comment